frozen distributor 69 tr6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: frozen distributor 69 tr6
From: Larry M Haller <lhaller@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:28:31 -0400
This is my brothers car he recently acquired so I don't know the history
or care of it.  I would imagine it changed hands and sat around a lot.
He just did a quick tune up and test driving it he heard a pop and the
engine died.  My inspection discovered the the distributor had moved
counter clock wise completely up against the block.  I reset the timing
and again a 1/2 mile into test drive the same pop and dead.  The same
problem.  Distributor moved again. But this time the rotor wasn't turning
and after pulling the distributor, inspection showed the shaft was frozen
and it snapped the pin off the bottom.  Is this a common problem?  Was
oil not getting up into the shaft bearing?  Or just a case of sitting
around and the oil dried up and plugged the oil port?

Larry Haller
lhaller@juno.com
60 tr3-a
68 tr250