Re: Min specs for TR4 brakes??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Min specs for TR4 brakes??
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:43:16 -0700
Carl & list. Before I restored my 66 TR4A had a brake vibration. I
assumed it was the front rotors. When I arrived at brake restoration, I
took the rotors up the local machine shop for resurfacing. The machinist
discovered that the hub would run out excessively. I replaced both hub
and rotor. The vibration was caused by the warped hub.        I believe
the method of measurement for the rear drum is to measure the diameter,
and check to see if it over. Are the drums 10.0?? in that example, a
drum measuring 10.0 plus .030, could be turned up to another .030ths.
Most drums shouldn't be turned over .060,and I think that's true for
TRs. Though, I do think there are some vehicles that go up to 120ths.
This is from memory, so better check with your local machine shop.
They'll have a tool that fits inside the drum to measure it. Jerry
Oliver.