Re: Thrust Washers

To: emmett <budabud@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:04:41 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Emmett,
        This question has an easy answer if you just think about it for a
moment. The oil grooves are there to provide lubrication, right? So it
would make sense for the grooves to face the moving part rather than the
stationary part. The moving part in this case is the crankshaft and the
stationary part is the engine block, so the grooves face away from each
other and toward the rotating mass, or the crankshaft. This is very
obvious when the bearing cap is removed and you are viewing the parts in
question. Be sure to use assembly lube liberally when replacing the
bearings.
Hope this helps,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA