Fuel cell

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel cell
From: Rob C Swift <RobSwift@PetCentre.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:02:09 -0400
Hello All!

        I am having a debate with myself.  The fuel tank in my '75 TR6 has
sprung
a leak.  It seems to be leaking from the bottom passenger side.  I am
thinking that removing the tank for a thorough check up is in order.  It
seems that I have three options for solving the problem.

        1: cleaning and treating the tank myself.  A friend of mine seems to
feel
that he has a good method for cleaning out the tank and re-sealing it.  I
have also read where a few of the other listers have done this job
themselves.

        2: I called the closest Gas Tank Renu franchise.  They will refurbish
the
tank for $210 - $300, depending on the condition of the tank.  Talking to
them and reading the product description, they seem to offer a quality
product.  One benefit that I feel strongly about with this option is the
idea of their "plastic coated" lining that will be in the tank with a
lifetime guarantee.  They offer a 7 day turnaround time which is another
plus.

        3: Most performance catalogs list a high impact resistant fuel cell,
along
with traditional type plastic cells in the $150-$200 range.  There are
obviously no models that will fit in the car as nicely as the factory tank,
but there are a few that will fit.  Most of these are a little on the
square side and will protrude into the trunk space a few inches.  The
benefit I feel strongly about with this option is the increase in impact
resistance from the stock model.  I also think that nicely installed a
"race cell" would look cool!  I am obviously not worried about keeping a
stock look.  Major downsides to this option seem to be inefficient use of
space in the trunk area (being square and leaving a lot of space on the
sides, and going into the trunk), the fact that most of these tanks feed
from the top of the tank and would probably require me converting to an
electric fuel pump, and that if I were in an accident bad enough to
compromise the factory fuel tank, I would probably be dead anyway!

What do YOU think?

Rob Swift
Manassas, Virginia

P.S.  I forgot to check into this one.....I remember seeing an aluminum
tank in a Moss catalog.  Does any one have any experience with this
product?  Any idea of the price?