Re: TR4 - Different Seats, Seat Belts, etc...

To: Dinh Bowman <bowdinh@u.washington.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 - Different Seats, Seat Belts, etc...
From: iron_horse819@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:02:46 -0800 (PST)
--- Dinh Bowman <bowdinh@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I have just recently purchased a TR4 and I would like to make a few safety
> improvements on it.
>
> One of the first things I would like to do is to change the seats (with no
> headrests) to some more comfortable/safer seats w/ headrests. Has anyone
> done this? Are there any suggestions on which seats to get etc...?
>
> The seatbelts that came with this vehicle are also really bad. I would like
> to get an Inertial seatbelt system that has both lap and shoulder straps.
> Are there any suggestions on where I can purchase these and how I should
> install them? (Can I attach it to my rollbar?)
>
> Something that has caught my attention, is the placement and the manor of
> using the emergency brake on this car. Has this ever posed a "problem" with
> anyone (especially those who live near lots of hills...i.e. San Francisco )?
> Is it possible to "move" the handbrake (i.e. replace the TR4 handbrake with
> a TR6 handbrake)

As far as seats are concerned, I have just purchased seats out of a wrecked
Miata that look to fit perfectly.  I too plan on using a rollbar and attaching
the three-point belt to it.

Concerning the handbrake, what literature I have read says that the handbrake
in the TR4 is much superior to that found in the later TR4A-TR6 ... capable of
locking the rear wheels at 30mph if I remember correctly.  Food for thought
anyway! :)

Raymond Lucas Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS