RE: Front Disc Brakes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front Disc Brakes
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 17:57:38 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Amazingly enough, I found several 'authorities' on the web that say the same
thing as Scott, including Ride & Drive and the Chicago Tribune.

Apparently, Crosley did in fact build cars in 1949 equipped with 4-wheel (!)
disc brakes.  However, the mechanism was made of an alloy that corroded
rapidly when exposed to salt, and the disc brakes were discontinued in 1950.
They were also equipped with overhead cam engines, whose blocks were welded
up from sheet steel.

There are some neat pictures at
http://ggw.org/freenet/c/cac/Crosley_Firsts.html

Randall