Re: OK! more tire recommendation?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OK! more tire recommendation?
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:42:26 -0500
Douglas Frank wrote:

> Well I've decided to splurge and +1 my GT6.  I'm ordering a set of 14"
> Minilites and now I've gotta settle on a tire.
>
> I'm looking at 185x60-14's:
>
> Continental Contact CH90    $52 at Tire Rack
>
>   "     P6000 Sportveloce   $55 at Discount Tire
>
> Goodrich Comp T/A R1        $93 at Discount Tire  (what's "t/a" mean?)
>
> Yokohama AVS intermediate   $66 at both
>
> any suggestions?
>
> TIA! (man I'm gonna go broke on this thing)
> --
> Douglas Frank  Compaq Computer Corp.
> ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.          quantum mechanics
> DTN 264-0501   Nashua, NH  USA  03062  n.  the dreams things are made of

Douglas,

Tire choice all depends on what you're looking to do with the car.  Without
question,
the Comp T/A (Traction/Advantage) R1's are by far the stickiest tire on your
list and
will blow your mind when it comes to cornering power.  They'll also wear out
within a
year if you use them for any kind of mileage on the street.  :-(   The regular
BFG
Comp T/A (HR-4, VR-4, or ZR) is a nice series tire with good performance that
will
last on the highway.  The difference being the hardness of the compound.  The
Yokohama
AVS Intermediate is very similar to the street BFG's.  The Pirelli and
Continental
tires you listed are more 'Sport Touring' types that will offer better wear
characteristics at the expense of slightly less traction.  Weigh out how much
you use
the car and what you want to use it for.  If you want to go out and buzz around
an
autocross course once a week and leave the car in the garage the rest of the
week,
then go for the R1's.  If you plan on driving across the country to attend
every VTR
for the next 5 years in a row, then choose the Conti or Pirelli.  If your
somewhere in
the middle, then pick the AVS or regular Comp T/A's.  Tire selection is about
as much
personal preference as it is anything else.

Good luck!

--
Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars