RE: Car & Driver (long winded opinion)

To: "'Randall'" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Car & Driver (long winded opinion)
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:41:03 -0500 charset="windows-1252"
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
A couple areas that have not been touched yet regarding the demise of the
LBC business in this country-
        A good friend of mine's father was the Service Manager for
US/British Leyland in the 60's-mid 80's,  ( anybody know Harold Taylor?  aka
'Triumph Harold'))  and it seemed at the time that a good deal of BL's
problems were poor quality control for the cars,  damage during shipment to
the US,  and lousy dealer support.   These three factors led to an often
negative vehicular experience for the car owners.   I remember hearing of
warranty claim battles that made today's skinflint dealers look like
benevolent philanthropists.  Many, many cars were repainted after damage
during the boat ride from the UK.  A lot of cars were shipped without radios
or AC, which were subsequently installed by local gorillas with little
interest in a job well done.  I am sure there were exceptions to these
difficulties, and many people received cars they enjoyed-  but the war
stories from the inside of the BL Service group was probably enough to kill
the business.
Bob W.