RE: Car & Driver (long winded opinion)

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Car & Driver (long winded opinion)
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 21:48:21 -0800
Short Local Dealer Damage Story:
I met with a muffler guy recently who said he almost bought a new TR7 back in
the mid-70's here in Birmingham,AL. He said the local BL dealer had knocked
$1500 off the list due to hail damage on 20 cars. He talked to a body shop guy
who said the damage would take $1100 to $1600 to fix so he never bought one.
Besides, he always heard they were problem riddled cars.

Locally, growing up in the '70s, the TR's had a reputation of being electrical
nightmares. The power was not that great either unless you built up the engine.
With comparitively cool looking cars like the 240,60,80z boasting
150+HP,reliability,and appreciating value, its no wonder that my first sports
car was a '72 240z(but not till 1983).

The TR6 sold me on its looks alone. Period. But I did'nt get one till this time
last year and only because it was $2000 and in good shape. I figured I'd see
for myself if these cars were really the problematic machines everyone said
they were.

Resulting Stupidity Point: Bad new travels fast and if only 10 percent of the
local public opinions on TR's out there fell into the 'trouble cars' group then
its a wonder they sold them as long as they did. IMHO, their looks went a long
way to pushing the next one off the sales floor. I'm just glad there were
enough of them sold back then so I can have one now. I've put 7000 miles on it
his year and many hours into restoration. I'd say its pretty dependable. The
throw out bearing and u-joints have been the most 'painful' repairs to date.
With all the parts so far, I've got $3500 into the car. One new paint job and
some seat work and I'll be up to what most people sell fully restored cars for
locally. Should I sell it while I'm ahead.....nah, when in doubt, buy another
one.