Re: Center Support recovering for TR4a

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Center Support recovering for TR4a
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 09:16:43 -0800
Paul. I recovered the dash support on my TR4A with a kit from TRF, but
it's probably not any better than the one you got from VB. I used a lot
of #77 spray glue, a hair dryer, and an exacto knife to remove some the
foam to get it to fit. The worst section for me was the area where the
bolts go through the floor. Fortunately, it's covered by the carpet
(but, I still know it's ugly, and think about it every time I look at
the carpet in that area). You're right, the section where the shift
lever goes through is very poor. I just looked at an original on a car I
recently bought, and they cut a small triangle out of each side so that
it could be folded under and glued. On my reproduction one, I choose not
to cut the circle (the originals tended to come apart at these cuts
after some use), and rather to heat it for expansion with the hair
dryer, and used a hot glue gun to add a little filler of glue, thereby
attaching it to the sides of the circle. I then carefully trimmed the
bottom edge flush with the circle bottom, and removed the excess glue. I
then spray some flat black on the bottom edge to hide the glue and
imperfections. It's just a really poor design, which is probably why
they went to the vinyl boot on the next year TR250 model. Jerry.