Insulating Tranny Cover

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Insulating Tranny Cover
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:35:57 EST
Ken,
Back in 1975 I thought stuffing carpet padding between the tranny and tranny
cover would make a good sound-deadening treatment (it did!) but a few months
later after coming back out to my car after a short trip I noticed the cabin
was full of white smoke and when I opened the car door found the trannycover
smoldering in fire! Soon firemen were shooting a flood of water into my
recently restored car (argh!) and tore out all the red smoldering insulation
padding with their big hooks. Needless to say oil soaked stuffing above the
exhaust pipe was not brilliant thinking.  I bought a new tranny cover and
some black rubber 'walkway' covering about 1/8" thick  (the kind that is
ribbed on one side and came on a bulk roll in auto stores back in the 70's -
generic car floor covering). I cut it to fit inside the underneath side of
the cardboard tranny cover and attached it with plenty of short fat sheet
metal screws and washers. Twenty or so years later I see it has held up very
well and even protected the cardboard from the minor oil misting leaks I had.
When I restore the cardboard this time around (water damage from above) I
think I will seal underneath it with undercoating before I put the rubber
sheet back in. One thing I think is important is to not obstruct airflow
around the transmission for cooling purposes and am not sure now that I have
a new overdrive unit how close the fit will be with the rubber liner.
Good luck,
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74

<<insulating tranny cover (GT6+)
What works best, doing it on top or on the underside? Is there enough room
underneath? I'm thinking that would be better...leave more room for carpet
between cover and support bracket.
ken shapiro>>