Re: Insulating Tranny Cover

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Insulating Tranny Cover
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 20:39:02 -0800
 After undergoing a recent clutch replacement on my TR6, I did two things upon
replacing the tranny cover to insulate:
1)I got some thick weatherstriping and lined the mating surfaces of the
original cardboard tranny cover and the steel surfaces of the car. This took
care of any and all air leaks along the joint.
2)I took some old shag carpet and my existing carpet and outlined it on the
shag carpet. I then cut out the shag with a 2 inch inset cut. I then laid the
shag carpet over the tunnel(shaggy side down) and tested for fit and made final
cuts. I then put the original carpet over it and fitted the cross-member to
test the fit and after making a few more cuts, put it all together.

The sounds and drafts coming from the ground,exhaust and tranny ceased. I noted
that sounds I used to hear inside the car I now heard coming from outside the
car echoing off gard rails, ect. from underneath the car.  I liked it so much I
did the same thing for my foot areas.  Heat insulation was not a priority in my
situation so the space shuttle crap or foam job may shine in this respect.

My route was cheap(about $4 of thick weatherstripping, $0 for old carpet),
quick(1 hour to cutout and re-cut carpet), and easy(everything is working from
topside of tranny cover so clearances are not an issue) with no future
foreseeable issues(fires or carpet binding on drive shaft).

This is'nt to say I'm imune from stupid stuff as I once used steel wool in
between a muffler and a heat sheild to quite the heat sheild from rattling. I
had to replace it about every 4-5 months due to it rusting. I later found out
that steel wool will ignite under such heat and so I was lucky it had not
already done so. I got the sheild welded(i.e. fixed the right way).

;-)