Some Fuel injection comments -

To: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Some Fuel injection comments -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 06:25:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
>I'm just starting a Spitfire FI project based on the
>Ford EEC-IV. I had considered the GM ECU, and also the
>Mototorola '332 based DIY_Fuel_Injection project that
>Bruce Bowling and AL Lipper are doing.
***************************************
I CC'd the lists because I thought that others contemplating fuel injection
might benefit from my experience

Carter,
The engine in that car is a Ford 2.8 V6.  My recommendation, after going
through all the work I did, is to just start with an after market
PROGRAMMABLE unit.  There are a bunch of different makes, Haltech,
Electromotive, TWM induction etc.  With the Spitfire (or any TR) motor, I
would go with the TWM throttle body setup myself.  Bolts right up to the
existing manifold or you could make up your own for a four individual
semi-port injection system.  That coupled with say Electromotive's (or
equiv.) engine management control would be an ideal setup.  This isn't
going to be cheap though.  None of them are, even modifying an existing
system isn't as inexpensive as one might think.  Not to do it RIGHT anyway.
 Plan on spending well over a grand, possibly close to two (or even more)
for a decent setup.  You really can't skimp, and simply bolting on
something from an engine of similar configuration and displacement *won't*
necessarily give you what you want.  I started with a GM system for a GM 60
deg 2.8 V6.  Wasn't even close, fuel management wise, for my Ford 60 deg
2.8 V6.  The only way to save some money is to manufacture some of the
components (manifolds , adaptors etc.) and do the fabrication yourself.   I
tried the GM route, and couldn't get it set correctly, it runs but it's not
ideally "programmed" yet.  It still runs rich at full throttle, and I have
to have the fuel pressure set a little too low to compensate.  I now have a
Haltech (simply because it will attach to my existing harness) and will be
able to program the system for my engine/car combo (as soon as I get a
laptop)  Then it will be REALLY nice.   After all I went through, in
hindsight, this is the easiest, best, and actually cheapest in the long
run.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)