Re: TR 6 cylinder heads and gaskets

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 6 cylinder heads and gaskets
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 06:57:57 GMT
On 9 Nov 1999, Gerhard Wiederholl wrote:

> What I found out until now is that there are different cylinder head
> gaskets. I
> already have a head gasket but I m not sure for which kind of motor
> block it is.
> What exactly is the difference.

The gasket for the recessed block has double sealing rings around the
cylinders, so these seals will be noticeably thicker than the rest of the
gasket. Additionally, the recessed head gasket should have an extra
extension (approx. 1 by 2 cm, from memory) that will point towards the
scuttle as an indication.

> Is there anything else to consider besides the gasket ?

The resulting compression ratio. You really should measure the chamber
volumes of the old and new heads to compare. A cheap plastic syringe with
ml graduations along the edge is eminently suitable.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway