Recap - Exh Manif Leak & Hard Starting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Recap - Exh Manif Leak & Hard Starting
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:11:33 EST
List,

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier posts regarding these nuggets.  The
last two days have been very productive for the old Spit!

I replaced the cracked exhaust manifold without a glitch and readjusted the
choke cable to allow for more travel when the choke is engaged.

The manifold came apart in two pieces where the crack was.  I thought it
would be worth mentioning because this crack definitely did not appear to be
as bad as it was even after I ground a "V" notch for cement....sort of the
iceberg of cracks I suppose!  Anyway, what an incredible difference in noise
level from the engine - other than normal engine noise, there isn't any noise
- just the mellow tones of my performance (c'mon, I didn't say "high"
performance) exhaust!  The crack was also blowing exhaust out of the intake
manifold side where I couldn't see it - sort of creating a loud echo.  Morale
of the story - small cracks on manifolds can be much, much deeper than they
appear and no cement is going to fill them!

The hard starting is gone - I rerouted and readjusted the choke cable to
allow for more "pull distance" and now she's firing up on 30 degree mornings.
 It pays to look closely at how far the jet seats (SUs) are traveling
downward when the choke cable is pulled out....a little travel will work on
60 degree (early spring/cool summer/fall) mornings but you really need full
travel on colder mornings.

Cheers,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)