Leaking TR3 Brake Caliper

Subject: Leaking TR3 Brake Caliper
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:46:05 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello listers,

I seem to have a leaking drivers side front brake caliper. It just sort of
seeps out (somewhere) and leaves a little puddle literally under the front
tire -- you don't even notice it until you move the car.

The very first thing I did to the car when I started working on it 2+ years
ago was to replace and overhaul all the braking system -- including putting
in new pistons and seals in the calipers. Could this leaking be due to me
doing this badly? One other thing of note, while investigating I found that
one of the bottom bolts that hold the caliper halves together was a bit
loose (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 turns), and I also noticed that the two bottom bolts
were different sizes (one was 5/8, the other 11/16). This is a TCF series
TR3B, so it uses TR4 front brakes (they are marked TYPE 16 P).

Thanks for any advice you may have -- I'd rather not have to add anything
big to my "must buy" list at the moment if at all possible.

Dave Moag
62 TR3B
77 Spitfire