Re: Help with TR-6 Head Oil Leak

To: jbrowder@usit.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help with TR-6 Head Oil Leak
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:15:17 EST
In a message dated 99-11-12 12:42:27 EST, jbrowder@usit.net writes:

<<  As I have
 put some miles on it, it has developed an oil leak that appears to be
 between the head and block at back end of engine.

 I re-torqed the head and it has slowed the leak (I think), but not stopped
 it. >>

Two possibilities come to mind - hopefully it's the first one: oil from a
mildly leaking valve cover gasket will sometimes film its way down the head
and reside on the junction between head & block - wipe the head down with a
dry rag and check for dampness after a day or two.  If this is your source,
don't forget to check the valve cover for warpage before fitting a new gasket
and re-installing.

Possibility #2  -  the "oil" you're looking at between block & head may
really be coolant disguised as oil that is seeping past a bad head gasket -
the coolant picks up normal engine dirt and looks dark & slippery like oil.
You mentioned that the leak slowed when you re-torqued the
head....re-torquing the head compresses the gasket further....the gasket
holds back the coolant a little better.........If it turns out to be the head
gasket, don't attempt to nurse it along, replace it!  Blowing a head gasket
can be a nasty (and potentially costly) experience!

Good luck,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L