Replacing pinned thrust washer?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacing pinned thrust washer?
From: "emmett" <budabud@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:30:28 -0600
The previous owner of my 1963 Spitfire had pinned the rear thrust washer in
place, a technique described in the VTR maintenance pages on how to prevent
the washer from dropping out.  I realized this while attempting to replace
them. The front washer dropped out easily, but the rear wouldn't budge. You
can see the pin if you slightly pry out the edge of the washer with a
screwdriver. The washer is worn to the point where it needs to be replaced,
but everything else about the engine is in good shape.  Is pulling the
engine the only solution at this point? I don't see how you could replace it
without removing the crank shaft.

Thanks,
Emmett