Subject: Replace Trailing Arm Bushes/TR6

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: Replace Trailing Arm Bushes/TR6
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:39:09 -0700
Michael -  I  replaced my rear  bushings last fall and mention a couple
things.

I recall a submission a while back wherein the writer  had replaced the
bushings by using  a jack to support  the trailing arm right under the
spring and then removing the bolts from the mounts without actually removing
the trailing arm from the car.  It sounded too delicate and dangerous to me.
In the end I decided that it was easier to remove the trailing arm and was
glad I did as the old bushes did do not come out easily.  You may want to
use the threaded rod/washers/nuts method for removing bushes if they are
corroded into the trailing arm.
A couple other things:
* If the trailing arm -to- bracket bolts are configured as mine were you
only have to remove one bracket from the frame.         The other you just
remove the arm from the bracket.
* On re-assembly, when  tightening the   nyloc nuts onto the 6 trailing arm
studs use your torque wrench and DO NOT overtighten. If so the studs will
strip the soft trailing arm threads.
* I also lubricated the new bushings with grease as I heard they squeaked if
you don't.
* If your rear wheel  camber is not fairly neutral this is a good time to
adjust by replacing/re-arranging  the trailing arm brackets. They come in
three  types (one, two and three notch) and using different outer/inner
combinations and up/down combinations will allow you to adjust camber. (if
you do change the combinations get a wheel alignment soon).  There is more
information on this in the archives.

By the way the improvement in handling for such an easy job as bushing
replacement is well worth it.

Jim Sloan, Calgary, Alberta

> From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>

> Help!  Afraid I'm getting in deep, for being a recent Triumph owner. I
> have one right rear suspension partly disassembled to replace the
> shock/springs, and released the half axle flange end toward the
> differential. Having new half axles, the mechanic failed to place any
> gaitors on the half axle, so ordered gaitors/new nyloc nuts/bolts and
> also ordered new uprated Bushes for the trailing arms.  I was okay
> replacing everything but the bushes!!!

> I read the article on TR6 web about rebuilding rear suspension, and the
> procedure for replacing the bushes. But, can anyone explain how is the
> easiest way to replace the bushes without removing the entire
> suspension/brakes/half axle from the car????
> Is it possible to just drop down the trailing arm bushes and replace
> without full removal?

> I did not know what a trailing arm was until 3 months ago.
            Back to the Manuals/Dreaming of a fresh car rear ride, D.