RE: Replace Trailing Arm Bushes/TR6

To: "dms@snip.net" <dms@snip.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Replace Trailing Arm Bushes/TR6
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:09:13 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
>Subject: Replace Trailing Arm Bushes/TR6

>Help!  Afraid I'm getting in deep, for being a recent Triumph owner. I
>have one right rear suspension partly disassembled to replace the
>shock/springs, and released the half axle flange end toward the
>differential. Having new half axles, the mechanic failed to place any
>gaitors on the half axle, so ordered gaitors/new nyloc nuts/bolts and
>also ordered new uprated Bushes for the trailing arms.  I was okay
>replacing everything but the bushes!!!
>
>I read the article on TR6 web about rebuilding rear suspension, and the
>procedure for replacing the bushes. But, can anyone explain how is the
>easiest way to replace the bushes without removing the entire
>suspension/brakes/half axle from the car????
>Is it possible to just drop down the trailing arm bushes and replace
>without full removal?
<

Well, I can not say if it can be done with the brake lines still connected, but
it is possible.  I nearly destroyed a trailing arm before I learned this trick.

You use a small bottle jack to press out the bushings from the inner side.
Put the bottle jack against one of the "lugs" which holds the bushing.  Put
a long 9/16" socket on the end of the jack and lengthen the post until the
socket makes contact with the bushing to be removed.  Then jack on the
bottle jack until the bushing pops out.  You need to use a small diameter socket
so you push only on the inner 1/2 of the bushing or else it will not move.

The jack wants to kick out on the bottom because it can't sit squarely on the
"lug".  It takes a little fiddling, but it works like a charm!

-Tony