Re: Key blanks

To: Tobermory9@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Key blanks
From: Creigtrium@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:26:21 EST
In a message dated 11/16/99 2:48:40 PM Central Standard Time,
Tobermory9@aol.com writes:

<< Hi -
 As I suspected, a careful reading of the owner's manual has been very
 enlightening, but has also raised more questions. When purchasing my TR6, I
 was given two keys - ignition, and the trunk/glove box key. The owner's
 maunal indicates that I should also have a door key.  How might I go about
 getting a key cut for the doors? Am I SOL, or is there hope? Anywhere in the
 greater Chicago area would be good.
 Regards,
 Paula K
 '71 TR6 CC58232E >>
Several years ago I stooped by a locksmith shop to have my ignition key
copied for my TR6.  I did not have keys for either my trunk or my doors.  I
asked them what I could do and they said they could make them for me.  I was
amazed when they went out to my car with a couple of special tools, figured
out what blanks would work, and then went to work making keys from scratch.
After he had them made, he tried them out, took a file to a few small corners
and presto ... perfect working keys for both my doors and my trunk.  They
didn't charge that much either.  So I would say find a good lock smith and
ask them if they will make you a key.

On the other hand, that's the last time my TR6 door key/lock has been turned.
 Since I don't have a hardtop on my TR6 I never lock my doors.  I had a
neighbor get his convertible Lebaron top cut by someone breaking into his
car.  I just make sure I don't leave anything of value inside the car.  If
someone wants to get inside I'd just assume they open the door as cut the top.

Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO