Re: Lost in the starter zone again

Subject: Re: Lost in the starter zone again
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 00:38:12 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Kinderlehrer wrote:
<snip>
> I also was under the impression that the new gear reduction starters are not
> available for the bullet nose set-up,

Moss's latest catalog lists both types of replacement starter, both
bullet nose and extended drive, although their picture doesn't appear to
be a gear reduction unit.

Ken Gano wrote:

> I'm almost sure it's a gear engagement problem.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

My first suggestion is to contact the people who sold you the starter,
and discuss the problem with them.  They have a responsibility to make
it work, you should give them the chance.

Bob's idea of mismatched starter/flywheel is a good one, especially
since people sometimes swap starters and flywheels without understanding
which ones go together. (Obviously, I don't mean you, but the DPO <g>)

Another possibility is that the radial clearance from the flywheel to
the starter gear is too tight.  As a test, try leaving the starter
mounting bolts loose by a turn or so, so the starter can rock sideways.

I believe the later ring gears were actually slightly smaller diameter,
to match the larger starter gear diameter.

Randall