TR2 Headlamp rims

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 Headlamp rims
From: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:40:47 +0000
Hi all
        I have purchasd (from Moss UK) a new set of chrome headlamp rims
for my TR2 project. Here's the question. The original rims, which I still
have all be it in poor condition have a small spring steel clip inside the
rim at the top of the unit. This is held in place by a small rivet, which
can be seen on the outside of the rim, it is brass, but may have been
chromed. The new rims have no such clip, but do have a "pip" where the
rivet would sit, as if to give the impression that the rivet was there. I
presume this clip bares on the inner rim and prevents the screw at the
bottom pulling the rim downwards when tightened. Should I drill my new rim,
and attempt to fit the clips from my original units (difficult as the pip
makes it hard to centre), or do most of you not bother with the clip at all.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.