Emissions from 1980 Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Emissions from 1980 Spitfire
From: Erik Watson <theurchin@softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:18:07 -0800
I have a new ( to me ) 80 Spit which is putting out too many emissions.
The requirement for the car is 450 ppm HC and 5.0% CO at IDLE, and right
now it is at 700 ppm HC and 8.5% CO. I have checked the plugs, wires,
timing, etc, and have adjusted the Stromberg CD4T to what appears to be
it's leanest setting. After pulling the piston from the carb it appears
that the needle will not travel any further down, no matter how much I
turn it counter clockwise ( with the special tool ). When lifting the
piston at idle, the CO goes substantally down.

Any suggestions ?

thanks
erik