Re: colortune or exhaust ports!

Subject: Re: colortune or exhaust ports!
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:47:04 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Tony Gordon wrote:
> I also read recently a message
> from an MG owner (sorry ...) that mentioned that if the sensor is more than
> 8-12" from the cylinder head, that a 3-wire sensor would be needed ... the
> heating effect from the burnt gases (needed to get accurate readings) might
> not be sufficient at idle.  Can't confirm but sounds sort of logical.

Tony :

I don't believe this, for the simple reason that older cars with O2
sensors did not have them so close to the head, but typically 2-3 feet
downstream.  The reason to either have the sensor close to the head, or
have a heater, is so that the sensor starts working quickly after the
engine is started (to meet the EPA cold start emission requirements).
As long as you are willing to wait a minute, the sensor will get hot
enough further down.

Randall