Re: colortune or exhaust ports!

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: colortune or exhaust ports!
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:03:34 +1030
Tony Gordon wrote:

< snip >

> I can add a futher thought as to why you would not want to go down the
path
> of direct "header" output!  If you are going to go to the trouble of
making
> holes in the header, you might as well fit an O2 sensor: this has the
> distinct advantage of giving exact fuel/air ratio so you can dispense with
> the Colortune altogether (although it is still a useful check of "which"
> cylinder is not firing consistently every cycle).
>
> There a number of good articles in the archives on O2 sensor fitting, and
> know that number of listers swear by them, since they are always "on" so
> you can monitor the mixture under all road/throttle conditions.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that a lot of
the new oxygen sensors get fouled from the use of leaded petrol (gas), so
if you're going to put one of these (relatively) expensive thingies in
your exhaust manifold, you'd want to check on this before hand.

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide
AUSTRALIA