spares on a trip (WAS:everybody's list of how to modernize...)

To: "Geo Hahn" <geohahn@azstarnet.com>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: spares on a trip (WAS:everybody's list of how to modernize...)
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 99 09:10:08 -0800
>Thanks for mentioning this.  Part of the challenge in driving these cars is
>guessing correctly what will be the next thing to fail and trying to have the
>spare on hand.  As you know, it really takes only a small space to carry
>spares for the critical components... I believe I shall add a fuel pump to
the coil,
>ignition parts & generator currently in that space.  Given the reliability
>(and availability) of modern tires it would almost make sense to chuck the
>spare tire and use the space in there for parts that would be
> unobtainable on the road.

I suggest a new rubber gasket that seals the glass sediment bowl on the
fuel pump.  They harden and will not reseal afterwards.  If you or
someone you are touring with removes the bowl to get something out you
can easily beome stranded with fuel flowing out under the car without a
new rubber seal.

They are very inexpensive & take up next to no space.

I like the idea of carrying a spare tune up kit (plugs, wires, cap,
rotor, points), fuel pump (or rebuild kit), sediment bowl gasket, spare
radiator hoses & coil.

I still like the idea of a spare tyre though.  A sunset puncture on a
lonely mountain road would be a lot more plesent if one had a spare with
them.

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.