Re: Oil Cooler for a TR6

To: Robert Rudolphi <robertrudolphi@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler for a TR6
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:05:57 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Robert Rudolphi wrote:

> I am thinking of adding a oil cooler to my 74 TR6 over the winter. I live in
> the Baltimore Maryland area and only drive the car in the summer. I run 20w50
> oil, ad the pressure seems to get a little low when the engine is hot. My
> concerns are
> 1 How useful are the coolers?

VERY.  Especially down here in the desert!

> 2 When changing the oil do you end up leaving a quart of "dirty oil" in the
> radiator or does it all drain back to the oil pan?

Dirty oil usually stays in the cooler.  But it is not of any consequence
if you change the oil regularly.

> Braided steel or just rubber hoses for the lines?

Braided steel, especially if the fit is tight and any contact with
moving parts is possible. (Ask me how I know!)

Regards,
Joe Curry
--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer