'79 Spitfire 1500 restoration & bumpers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '79 Spitfire 1500 restoration & bumpers
From: Scott Ruffner <jpr9c@cs.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:45:23 -0500 (EST)
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the list, but have enjoyed lurking.  I've got a '79
Spitfire (I don't have the body comm number handy), but it's one of the
later ones with the full black rubber bumpers.  I'm sending the body shell
off to the shop for painting in about two weeks (still haven't settled on
the color), and I'm still debating what to do about the bumpers...I'm not
a purist or unwilling to make some changes; I plan for the car to be a
daily driver.

Basically I really think the snout bumper is just too heavy for the car to
carry, so I'd like to fit the chrome/rubber combination that was on the
75-78 cars...has anybody had any experience with this? Has anybody got
bumpers in reasonable condition from one of these which they'd be willing
to part with?  The immediate concern is differences in the body panels
just below the bonnet (I'm a 'merkin, and I know it's a hood, but since
the whole thing comes up, you just have to call it a bonnet) up front (I
have no idea what I'd call these, I suppose front quarter panels, but that
isn't really right).

I have picked up an intake manifold which will let me use some HS2s with
the 4 port 1500 head, and I've got a set of header pipes with came with
the car (the emmissions stuff had already been stripped off).  In my part
of VA we don't have an Emiss. inspection, so I'm not planning on putting
that back in (perhaps the vapor cannisters, but no air pump & EGR).
Basically, I consider this to be a bit of a "backwards" modification, but
I'm exicted about it.

I'm curious about anyone's experience with replacing/updating the single
transverse "swing spring" in the back; I'd like to go to independent
coils, preferably connected to the frame.  Are there any such conversions
out there?

Thanks!

Scott
--
Scott Ruffner                   Computer Science Department
Systems Engineer                226E Olsson Hall