Re: TR6 side windows and windscreen frame

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 side windows and windscreen frame
From: "Ian Viles" <ianviles@derbysmoths.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:15:38 -0000
Frank Biedermann wrote,

Er, what was the remedy? You've only mentioned the diagnosis, not the cure!
Did you replace the windscreen frame or just straighten it out (and if so,
how did you do it)? As you can probably tell I have a similar problem with
my side windows, and would like to correct it (and the rattles as well).

Frank - this what was done. 1. Door internals refurbishment.
Removed inner and outer waist seals,
window glass plus lifting channel and door glass regulator.
Removed felt glass channels complete with brackets.
Separated old channels from brackets by grinding off rivet heads.
Fitted new channels (part no. 850430FT) to brackets
(I used BA nuts and bolts with heads ground off, but the correct rivet is
3/32" according to Brian Kemp).
Reversed dismantling procedure.
I also renewed the inner and outer waist seals,
and weather curtains; glued felt between door lock remote levers/inner door
skins and renewed the lifting channel rubber. The latter may not be
necessary - mine was a badly fitted non spec item.
2. Windscreen frame.
There was some adjustment possible by removing the 3 bolts and cover
plates and loosening the 2 bolts that secure the screen pillar mounting
brackets. This did not provide sufficient adjustment in my case. Frame was
removed and locating pins heated up and bent forwards.
Apparently, the pins sometimes have to be cut off
and welded back in the correct (for the vehicle in question) position.
Finally, the upper glass stop brackets were adjusted. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ian Viles (Derbyshire - home of the Bakewell Pudding!, UK)
73 TR6
PS The Pudding was first served by mistake at the Rutland Arms
(Bakewell),a coaching inn, in 1889. A strawberry tart was ordered,
but the cook poured the egg mixture over the strawberry jam
instead of into the pastry. It was so good that Mr Greaves,
the inn owner, instructed the cook to carry on making it that way.
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating" - William Camden (1551-1623)