RE: TR6: overdrive solenoid overheating (fwd)

To: "'Bernd J Imdahl'" <bernd.vabeach@erols.com>, "'Scions of Stanpart'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Vintage Triumph Register general list'" <vtr@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6: overdrive solenoid overheating (fwd)
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:56:11 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Bernie :

The A-type solenoid has two internal windings, with a set of contacts under
the end cap that disconnect the high-current winding when the solenoid is
seated.  From your description, I'd say those contacts are not opening,
either because something (misadjustment, dirt ?) is keeping the solenoid
plunger from rising completely in the solenoid body, or because the contacts
themselves are misadjusted, or possibly the pushrod is broken or missing.

My solenoids are older than yours, so may be constructed differently, but
when I remove the rubber cap from the solenoid, I see two nuts with locktabs
that hold a Bakelite cap.  Pry back the locktabs and remove the nuts, tabs
and cap to access the contacts.  If you activate the solenoid with the cap
off, you should be able to easily see the problem.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO
Lakewood, CA, USA