Re: Emmission... in Colorado

Subject: Re: Emmission... in Colorado
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:39:25 -0700
Here's an update from the west AFA emissions and salt. Someone should make these
into a FAQ for the SOL site, but don't mistake my suggestion for me
volunteering. ;-)

Emissions: Colorado

Colorado also has historic tags, but they don't exempt you from all inspections
like Virginia. With the tags, you only get inspected for emissions (and VIN
verification) every five years. You pay for the five year registration up front,
so you'd only want historic tags on a "keeper", but it's a pretty good deal for
classic cars -- and apparently rusted old pickups. Only downside is no custom
tags if you care about that.

Also, for cars '82 (I think) and older, you don't have to pass the dyno, just a
tailpipe sniffer at idle and moderate revs (900 and 2500 was the target as I
recall). It's pretty easy to tune your carb to pass -- to which I can attest.
And they don't seem to care what smog equipment you do or don't have, no visual
inspection. Um, at least where I went they don't care.  ;-)

Year Round Driving: Colorado

Also, in most of Colorado, they don't salt the roads (sand, and a scary new
de-icing chemical in downtown Denver and over the Divide, but no salt). And we
have 300 days of sun a year. So you can pretty much drive your TR year-round --
with a beater for snowy days, something like an old BMW 2002 -- to keep your
seals from drying up and falling out (or whatever). We also have mountain roads
to drive -- though in the winter they do feature snow.

But hey, don't start thinking about moving out here, cause the cost of living is
terrible, and traffic is worse, and I just checked and we're full. And I'm not
just saying that to keep the mountain roads to myself. Really.  ;-)

--

Steven Newell
Crave Technology, Denver, CO