TR6: overdrive solenoid overheating (fwd)

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, Bernd Imdahl <bernd.vabeach@erols.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR6: overdrive solenoid overheating (fwd)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:25:48 -0500
Message text written by Bernd Imhdal
>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:12:24 -0500

[The VTR] Maintenance Page is great and has given me invaluable technical
assistance for my TR6, perhaps you can you also help me in a problem I'm
experiencing or perhaps sent me in the right direction to find help with
my Type A overdrive transmission, a little background I'm putting this
over drive transmission into my TR6 the O/D has been sitting in the donor
car for the past 6 years, everything went according to plan I installed
the O/D the overdrive engages when it's suppose to however after a while
the O/D solenoid heats up and burns up the solenoid, any suggestion, I
would greatly appreciate any help that could be offered to me

thank you
Bernie

Bernie,

There are two coils in the solenoid used on the A type O/D.  A high current
coil is used to pull the solenoid in and the low current coil is used to
hold it there.  There is a set of contacts that will interupt the current
to the high current coil once the solenoid is pulled in.  If something is
limiting the travel of the solenoid plunger such that it doesn't engage the
contacts the high current coil will continue to draw high current and cause
the solenoid to over heat.  Ensure that the solenoid plunger and the
mechanism is properly adjusted and has freedom of movement.

Good Luck.

Dave