TR6 overdrive solenoid overheating (fwd)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 overdrive solenoid overheating (fwd)
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:48:10 EST
In a message dated 12/1/99 1:37:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,

<<

 Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:27:23 -0500 (EST)
 From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>

 - ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF3B56.1238C5C0

 If anyone has any suggestions for Bernie, please reply to him (copy the
 list[s] if you like), but don't reply just to me. Thanks in advance!

 - --Andy

 Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:12:24 -0500

 [The VTR] Maintenance Page is great and has given me invaluable technical
 assistance for my TR6, perhaps you can you also help me in a problem I'm
 experiencing or perhaps sent me in the right direction to find help with
 my Type A overdrive transmission, a little background I'm putting this
 over drive transmission into my TR6 the O/D has been sitting in the donor
 car for the past 6 years, everything went according to plan I installed
 the O/D the overdrive engages when it's suppose to however after a while
 the O/D solenoid heats up and burns up the solenoid, any suggestion, I
 would greatly appreciate any help that could be offered to me

 thank you
 Bernie

 - ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF3B56.1238C5C0-- >>

<snip> No indication how to email "Bernie"  (Hi Andy)

  The answer is not found in playing with the solenoid internal switches.
   Note that more than one  solenoid has failed.
 The problem is that the mechanical adjustment of the overdrive operating
lever
 is off to the point where the closing coil is on all the time.
 This coil takes 15 amps, and is not intended for continuous use.  The
solenoid
plunger needs to travel far enough to activate the internal switch that turns
on the holding coil and cuts off the closing coil.  The holding coil uses
less than one amp.

Trust me    A TR3 Racer
Daly City, CA

56 TR3, Natl. Champ