Speedo Fix

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedo Fix
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 02:00:13 EST
Phil
I recently fixed my non registering odometer by disassembling (pretty easy
with small screw drivers) and finding a little clip worn out that ratchets
the number wheel. I was able to find a tiny scrap of copper wire to wrap
around the post to keep the clip in place but later realized I should fix it
real good by disassembling a dirty old spare speedo  and use a clip from
inside that one that was in great shape. Either way (copper strand of wire or
canabalized clip) it was fairly easy to fix. I have to tell you I have taken
apart a few clocks in the past that turned out to be good practice for fixing
little gadgets..
As far as bouncing needle I think the 'sticky cable' is usually the culprit
and a good lubricating may fix that if wires aren't frayed. But if replacing
cable make sure 'inner cable' not too long. If it pushes mechanism in too far
at back of speedo it causes new problems.
Regarding being 10 -13 miles off..I found that the needle in rest position
should line up with a tiny white dot on face about 5 mph BEHIND the zero mark
(counterclockwise from the wire stop point). In other words, push the spring
wire 'needle stop' into the speedo face releasing the speedo needle to swing
free to about minus 5mph. It shold stop at the white dot NOT on zero (needs
negative pull). The needle can be pulled straight off (firm and straight) and
postioned back on to original calibration.
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74
ps; please don't attempt this if you envision springs and wires and broken
delicate pieces all over da place...new/used speedo may be hard to find

<<My speedometer is about 10 to 13 miles off, the needle bounces, and my

odometer has stopped registering the miles. Any suggestions on how to fix?
Phil Smith>>