J type OD- vent and lube

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: J type OD- vent and lube
From: J Constantino <jjcon2@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 20:12:13 -0800 (PST)
Hi Listers:

In the TSSC's Sept 99 Courier, Carl Heinlein wrote in
the Talking Technical section that early Spit/GT6s had
a vent in the gearbox topcover (3rail) if the car was
non-OD and had a vent in the (presumably)D type OD
case if it was an OD car.  The OD cars did not have a
vent in the gear box cover, only the OD case.

I just put a box together for my GT6+.  It has a
vented 3 rail cover and a J type OD (with no vent in
the OD case).  I don't think my J type OD originally
came out of a Triumph, a local supplier couldn't cross
ref the part number to one anyway.  The box has a
Dolomite input shaft, GT-6 gears, Spit 1500 main shaft
etc.

2 questions:

Is the vent in the 3 rail cover adequate for the J
type OD?

I plan on using synthetic gear lube.  Anyone know if
the cone clutch will co-exist with this stuff and
should I use GL4 or GL5 (GL5 is for LSD rearends)?

Thanks

Jason Constantino