visual emissions compliance was Barney Fife NC DMV discussion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: visual emissions compliance was Barney Fife NC DMV discussion
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:06:25 -0500

I used to live in Texas - near Houston and we also had emissions compliance
testing - both visual and tailpipe.   The vehicle I needed to get thru was a
high mileage early '80s Pontiac with a V6.  The vehicle had a frozen smog pump
so I gutted the smog pump (removed the vanes - they had rusted to the pump
housing) and ran a piece of black heater hose from the pump down thru the morass
of hoses, exiting near the upper control arm.  Car passed visual with flying
colors and passed the tailpipe test also.  Not that I am suggesting that any
late era Triumph owners consider gutting their frozen smog pumps.