a curious dilemma, TRX's and Fury...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: a curious dilemma, TRX's and Fury...
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:40:07 EST
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:12:22 -0800 (PST)
From: jim williams <sportsix63@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: A curious dilemma

- --- jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> wrote:

> The subject is external oil feeds. I've just
> refitted my
> 2500 injection head having had hardened valveseats
> fitted
> and a general top end overhaul, including gas
> flowing and a
> skim to clean up mating surfaces. Prior to fitting,
> I spent
> about an hour with various lengths of welding wire
> and a
> high pressure kero wash and brush probing into oil
> drillings. I then spent a further happy few minutes
> with
> many cubic metres of very compressed air. Prior to
> fitting
> the head, I installed the oil supply pipe to the
> rear of the
> head, properly installed copper washers etc and then
> went
> through the motions of torquing the head, fitting
> valve gear
> etc - as you do. After cranking to circulate oil,
> time comes
> to re-connect essential wires and start.
> Oil p******g out and initially traced to a defective
> spin-on
> oil filter sealing ring. Changed that. P*****g
> continued
> unabated and eventually traced to the external feed
> into the
> head where, despite what appeared to be a very
> comprehensive
> and effective seal, the oil was being forced out in
> voluminous quantities. We open for skating on the
> garage
> floor tomorrow.
> I'm as satisfied as I can be that there are no
> internal
> obstructions and the rockers are clearly getting
> their oil
> supply via the pedestal drillings, so I've
> temporarily taken
> off the feed pipe and replaced the blanking plug. No
> more
> leaks.
> The only reason I can think is that possibly there's
> an
> excessive oil flow up top and too much to go through
> the
> drillings. Seems odd. Has anyone else had this
> problem and
> if so, did you dispense with the external oil feed -
> oe
> what?
>
> Jonmac
>
> I had an oil line fitted to a Vitesse when I
purchased
it. Every time I started the car the engine let out a
cloud of smoke. During each gear change, same thing.
Thinking the problem was with the valve guides and
wear in the engine I rebuilt the whole thing. Now, I'm
convinced the problem was with the external oil feed.
I removed it. A machine shop owner told me that the
amount of oil flowing to the head was too much.
Again, one man's opinion.
Jim Williams
13/60 Estate
Sport6 1963

Hi Jim,
(I was just thinking about you!, that's too wierd).

In answer to the above question:
I have three of those oil feed hoses lying at the back of my garage.
Guess why?

A) too much oil in tappet cover,
B) noticable drop in oil pressure after fitting,
C) Smoke from previously clean exhaust.

and yes, I even had a restrictor made to cut down the oil flow to some degree.
It didn't help a great deal.
In my experience, they are a total waste of money.

In the words of the song:

"So you've got an oil feed hose, that don't impress me much!"

And yes I have tried them on both four and six cylinder engines, both new and
old.
Never had an oil leak as described by Jonmac though!

And as for the TRX's and the Fury for sale...
I work in the building which faces Olympia across the street.
I read today (Tuesday 7th December) in Triumph World magazine that they were
being auctioned, yesterday (Monday 6th December)!
Heck, and there I was wondering what to do with all that excess money and car
storage space!!!
Ah well.
(note the Bristol car showroom is almost next door!, hmmm...nah, too ugly!)

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible