Re: 240 Z Finned Alloy drums

To: tjordan@bigpond.net.au
Subject: Re: 240 Z Finned Alloy drums
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:17:40 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You Wrote:

> I have just obtained one 240Z brake drum and should be able to find another
> soon for my TR6.  What is the process for adapting them to the TR6?

Make sure the center "big hole" is the correct size. The brake drum
"centering" is the most important aspect of this job. If you need to open
that hole up, bring the drum and a hub to the machinist to get it right.
Think "hub centric".

> The stud holes have to be opened up and holes have to be drilled for the
> countersunk retaining screws.

Well, you might be able to get by without opening up the stud holes, your
TR6 comes with pretty wimpy 7/16th inch lugs... on my 260Z brake drums, the
holes just needed a little "chamfering" on the back side... of course then
I installed 1/2 studs so then I had to open the stud holes up a lot.

As for the retaining screws - you don't really need them, but if you insist
- go for it.

> Is anything else necessary or desirable?

They look nice if you bead blast them... but before you do anything make
sure the ID of the brake surface does not exceed 9.055 inches, at least
that's what's cast on my drums. You might also want to "crack test" them.

Of course turning/crack testing should be done first.

;-)

> Should they be painted?  What paint would be best?  Powdercoating?

No paint. These babies get HOT.

> Trevor Jordan

74 TR6 CF29281U

rml
TR6's including CF14111U and CR1871

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper