RE: [Fwd: TR8 fuel injection]

To: "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Fwd: TR8 fuel injection]
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:21:19 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <FSFOPS@aol.com>
Being in the middle of the same event with my *new* TR8, here's where I am
at.  Car runs 8 seconds when cold.  That's the time to cold start injector
cut out.  I can fire once or twice more for diminishing times each time,
until no fire at all on the 4th try or so.

Put the blade of a big screwdriver on the body of an injector and stick the
handle in your ear while someone else cranks the engine. Listen for the
clicks.  If you hear clicks you injectors are actuating so the electronics
is ok.

Depressurize the fuel system (or let it sit over night) and disconnect the
fuel to the cold start injector.  Attach fuel pressure meter.  I found a
meter at AutoZone for later model cars that have the valve to attach the
meter to and found that if hold the locking barrel fully forward you can
whack it off with a hacksaw and leave enough of the underlying connector to
put and hose and clamp with a hose clamp. Viola for $35.00 you can check
your pressure.

If less than 35 Lbs pressure then see if fuel pump is working, if so,
replace the fuel filter and check again.  Low pressure at this point is
either the pump or the pressure regulator.

If pressure is/was normal then the injectors are clogged.  This is where I
am at.  I plan to pull the plenum and remove the fuel rail with injectors
attached and crank the car to see if anything at all is coming out.
CAUTION! Disconnect HV coil wire and have fire extinguisher handy!  I am
going to get a turkey pan (one of the cheap aluminum ones from the grocery)
to put under the injectors to catch the gas.

Assuming they are clogged I have found a place nearby that will disassemble
and clean the injectors for about $15.00 each. Also I have found rebuilds at
about $45 per and new ones from $80 and up.

Going back to the top, if there was no clicking check the combination relay
near the fuse box and/or the ballast resistor pack next to the coil. These
provide power to the ECU and the timing for the injectors firing.  Power to
the cold start injector runs through the combination relay, but not the ECU.
Good luck, let me know what you find, as I am right there with you and quite
ready to drive the 8.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6 80-TR8  W4UCK