Overdrive 2nd

To: "Davies William-qswi646" <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Subject: Overdrive 2nd
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:22:51 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
William davies wrote:

Is there any way we can use the overdrive (D-type) on 2nd
gear?
I'm aware that Overdrive pressure is dependant upon the gear
speed, but I
remember some of the earlier TR's had A-type overdrives
which operated on
2nd. I also knew a guy years back who had a Vitesse 6 with
the switching
modified to work on 2nd, but I don't know how succesful it
was. Our other
concern is whether the overdrive would handle the torque
produced in 2nd
gear.

FWIW William, I wouldn't give it a second thought - just do
it. I drove several Spitfires and Heralds where O/D had been
modded to number 2 cog. They'd all had a hard life in and
around London where revs up to and above 5000 saw the column
switch going down and the O/D coming in with a nice thump.
Don't recall any stories of gearbox or laycock failure
though I think a few drive sahfts joints suffered earlier
than planned wear.

Jonmac