Re: Placing a car on jacks - warning

To: David Whitelaw <slasher_dw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Placing a car on jacks - warning
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:52:29 -0500
Cc: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, "\[unknown\]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by David Whitelaw

When I jack up my 4A from the front I use the radiator
structure cross piece.  Placing the jack under the oil
pan places the intire weight of the car on the engine
mounts and a good portion on the rear transmission
mount.  I have found this to be very annoying when I
have to prematurely replace these items or observe
that I have dented the oil pan.  As far as jacking up
the rear I have had no problems placing the jack under
the differential, however, I do place it forward of
rear access plate.

David G. Whitelaw (slasher_dw@yahoo.com)
<

Years ago I had a friend from Boston who told me that when they wanted to
swap engines in the VW they would just roll the car over into a snow bank
and start wrenching.  And I'm not making this up.  (Maybe he was...)

Dave