Re: Wheels. Studs, Disk, and Wire.

To: Roger Colson <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels. Studs, Disk, and Wire.
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:41:10 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Roger Colson wrote:

>     Would the rear studs from the TR6 fit the TR3?  10 inch Girling drums.

No, they won't- TR6 rear studs are press (interference) fit, whereas the
solid axle TRs have studs that thread in from the outboard side.  (look
carefully at your hubs and you'll see what I mean- the front rotors have
no flange at the base of the stud and a 'head' on the inboard side, the
rear studs *do* have a flange on the outboard side, and nothing on the
inboard side.

The studs are threaded into the hub, then peened over (upset) so that they
can't undo.  To get them out, you can drill them, and re-thread (this is
difficult), or take a very small die grinder and take off the back 2
threads or so.  (I did this on a broken stud on my TR4).

Or, some people prefer to replace the rear hubs wholesale, just yank out
the axle and pop in one from a disc-wheeled donor.

>     Would the studs be available from an autoparts store?  What are the
> generic measurements for ordering?

Probably not- but if you have friends in a machine shop, the threads in
the hub are the same as for the lug-nut- 7/16 UNF.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm