TR6 pre oiling. or, I did it my way. (Applicable all LBC's)

To: Doug Heiser <dheiser@mail.com>, "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@jspp.com>
Subject: TR6 pre oiling. or, I did it my way. (Applicable all LBC's)
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:33:09 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
After many years firing up new engines and eating cams which went flat,
here's my input.
Personally this is by far the easiest on any engine where you can't spin
the oil pump without turning the engine, to ensure immediate oil supply
to the most critical area, the cam lobes and lifters. Remove the spark
plugs AND the rocker assembly to stop any load on the follower/lifter
interface.Crank engine until oil VISUALLY seen out of rocker supply
drilling. Continue for 10 seconds or so ,check the oil level and add if
required, reassemble, fire up and hold rev's to 2200 to 2500 for at
least 5 mins but better yet 25 mins.Have second pair of eyes check for
problems such as coolant/oil leaks. WHY ? You WILL have assembled the
engine using normal engine oil,and you have NOT gooped any type of
grease/assembly lub on the bearings or cam.This stuff will slow/ inhibit
oil supply when the engine fires. The lifter requires immediate supply
of oil and the speed allows the face to face work hardening needed for
long unscuffed life.Premature lifter/lobe failures are usually
(read...always.) due to inadequate/late oil supply.This applies to all
induction hardened cams from the aftermarket including those that are
supposed to work harden from relatively soft material.. Even after some
days not running ,the lobes on a cam will have an oil dew drop hanging
from the bottom.This is adequate for continued use after the above break
in proceedure.Further to this if you are really paranoid, use a NON
DETERGENT 20 weight for this and for the next 300 miles.Thin oil travels
quicker through the engine and all your nice tight clearances wont allow
20/50 to work. My own shop ? I use this and then switch to 15/40 Shell
Rotella.Never had a cam go flat on me since 1982 using this procedure.
NB...This does not seem to apply to OHV style cams from the factory,
especially VW and AUDI. They are made of some alien off world material
that is almost indestructible!!!!!!       Phew !....DK
< Usual disclaimer. No affilliation with any registered trade marked
products herein mentioned or impplied,>

NIL DESPERANDVM ET AL MECANICA BRITANICA CARBERVNDOM. VIVA LVCAS