Jacking front end of TR-4

To: "'slasher_dw@yahoo.com'" <slasher_dw@yahoo.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jacking front end of TR-4
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:44:59 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello-
I've had my TR-4 32 years and have found the hard way that the 'trick' of
jacking with the radiator cross brace is NOT HEALTHY- one side the weld
broke and it was a tender job to lower and not destroy the radiator etal.
During my restoration I had the brace and support angle re-welded.

Use a floor jack on one side where the radiator x mount meets the frame, and
use two jack stands or small hydraulic jacks when the height is 'minimal' to
accept the jack. Even though its more combersome and time consuming, the
safety and long range avoidance of problems is worth the 'extra time'.
I agree not to use the oil pan.

Another helpful location for 'wheel work' is the lower wishbone, just be
cognizant of the ball joints and bush ends.

British collection includes:
'65 TR-4 (my post S E Asia college Car) since' 68
72 E Jaguar Type FHC (V-12) the benchmark-great runner, 'light' and 'soft'
compared to the others)
76 Jensen GT (restoring)  Runs Good, needs paint, redid the dash and
electrics, detailed the engine
'76 XJ12C (my wife's '27th' birthday present last year), dash, headliner,
interior restored, no rust, needs paint
the best riding
89 XJS Convertible (V-12) (great cozy ride)
96 XJR  (Rock solid, incredible pickup and smoothness, ride very firm
compared to 12C & XJS)

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia, MD