It Runs!!!

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: It Runs!!!
From: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:38:29 -0800
Cc: kirtp@caps4ups.com, Randy <Rabauder@imperialbank.com>, brucep@caps4ups.snfc21.pbi.net, cinemaparadiso@rockisland.com, Rick Koch <r.koch@pacbell.net>, Tom Rodrigues <TomRodri@aol.com>, Bill Meyer <drbmeyer@pacbell.net>, Brian Oshel <BPOshel@aol.com>, Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>, Dave Bergquist <d.bergquist@worldnet.att.net>, Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>, Helen <helenb@mjr.com>, Jim Gerakaris <jimg1375@aol.com>, Mahesh Patil <MaheshP@creativedesign.com>, Tom Priest <tomp@caps4ups.com>, Alice <Alice_Bauder@cccpp.com>
Listers and friends, etc.

My TR tag lines for the last three years were, '58 TR3 in boxes,  then
'58 TR3 in fewer and fewer boxes, then '58 TR3 almost running. Today my
tag line is: '58 TR3 running again.

I was finally able to spend some time working on the car. I hadn't been
able to really spend any time on the TR for almost two months. Today I
put the distributor in, timed it, cranked it with the hand crank until I
had oil pressure, and hit the starter. It almost started, so I squirted
a bit of ether in the cab throats and tried again. It roared into life
and just purred. The new SS exhaust is perfect, no rattles and quiet
enough. No leaks anywhere, everything works as it should, with the
exception of the generator. The ammeter is at zero and the red
ignition/charge light is on. I will do some trouble shooting next week
or the week after on the that.

I am pumped! It was three years ago in April that I started to pull the
engine for an overhaul. Now I am almost finished with a do-it-yourself
(with lots of help from my brother Randy!) frame-off restoration.

Thanks for all of the support and advice from the TR List, Triumph
Travelers Sports Car Club members, friends and family

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, this isn't the end, or even the
beginning of the end, but I am very close to seeing the beginning of the
end.

Jim Bauder
'58 TR 3 running again
Palo Alto, CA