RE: HELP...Coolant question

To: <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: RE: HELP...Coolant question
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:00:32 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael,

Brown, green or pink,  I can't tell the color of antifreeze because I'm
pretty color deficient in those colors, but......

>From the Saab list, I discovered Mercedes-Benz anti-freeze years ago.  It is
phosphate free and pH buffered with inhibitors to aid in the prevention of
electrolysis.  M-B developed if after experiencing corrosion failures.

To make a long story short, although it still worked fine, I finally changed
the 11 year old thermostat in my Saab and found the inside to the thermostat
housing to be totally free of corrosion, white deposits, etc.  The housing
looked brand new, right down to the grind marks where those Swedes cleaned
the flashing off the casting, back in 1988.  Since starting to use the M-B
antifreeze (5-6 years ago) I have found no white salt deposits at all on the
aluminum parts inside any engine.  This Antifreeze is about $10/gallon at
your local M-B dealer.

BTW - I use the M-B antifreeze, at 30% concentration, in my TR3A with a full
bottle of WaterWetter.  The TR also gets demineralized water, but the Saab
and Chevy don't.  But, even with the M-B antifreeze, I still had Fred Thomas
Powder coat the inside of my thermostat housing when he did the outside.
(Shameless plug for the list's own, powder coating machine, VaFred)  ;-)

Regards,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando