IT'S ALIVE (Again)

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: IT'S ALIVE (Again)
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 06:51:58 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
The saga started a couple weeks ago with a stuck float on the carb of my 71
TR6.  I pulled the car out of the garage to wet sand it prior to painting,
but couldn't get it started to get it back in when I finished sanding.
Seems one or both floats stuck drowning the engine with gas.  Decided it was
time to rebuild the carbs, already had the kits on hand.  Got the carbs
rebuilt, put them back on still flooding.  Pulled the carbs off again, gave
the original jets a real good cleaning and then replaced the Grose jets with
the original jets.  Put everything back together, still wouldn't start.  I
got lots of great suggestions from list members, especially Roger Bolick.
Roger sent me numerous messages in response to my questions.  After a couple
days troubleshooting, I just couldn't understand why the car wouldn't start.
The carbs seemed to be acting properly, i.e. gas in the bowl, but not
flooding the engine.  I pulled each plug and verified I had spark.  Just
couldn't understand.

Sunday I took a break from the car for my own sanity and to help preserve my
marriage.  Needless to say, after fighting this thing for a week, my wife
was staying well away from the garage.  Even my 20 year old son who is
eventually going to get this car stopped coming out and asking if he could
help.  Sunday I just cleaned the garage and did some 'honey do's'.

Last night back at the car.  During the garage clean up I found 4 spark
plugs from some previous project (think a Ford Festiva) sitting on the
bench.  One of Roger's suggestions was to replace the plugs. I decided to
put these four plugs in and give it a try.  I checked the plugs to be sure
they were the right size then started installing them.  Prior to installing
the plugs, I would hold it against the block and turn over the engine to be
sure I had spark.  I had replaced 2 and had the third in my hand against the
block.  As I turned the engine to check the spark, it started!  Scared the
S#%T out of me, needless to say, I had lots of spark at the plug I was
holding in my hand.  I quickly shut off the engine, installed the two
remaining plugs and started the car.  If fired right up.  I had to change
the oil before I ran it much because I had as much gas in the sump as oil.
I'll pick up a new set of plugs today and hopefully get the carbs adjusted
tonight so I can get back on track with the painting.

Thinking back on it, when I was checking the plugs for spark, I was getting
great spark from the plug threads to the block, but not seeing any spark
between the electrode.

Without all the help and suggestions I received from this list I'm sure I
would have ended up taking the car to the local British car shop and paying
a fortune to have him get it running.  I really appreciate all the help.
It's great to know there are so many people out there that will take the
time to assist a total stranger.

Again, thanks a lot.  If anyone ever gets to the Panama City Beach, FL area
give me a call.  I normally keep some cold beer in the fridge in the garage
and we can discuss our LBCs.  My number is in the phone book.

Ken Waringa