Re: fuel efficiency

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fuel efficiency
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:34:51 -0500
David Lee wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I was wondering what everyones experience is on gas mileage on a tr4.
> Everything on my engine is stock.  I have a feeling somethings not tuned
> correctly since I only get about 10 miles to the gallon at the most.  I dont
> see any fuel coming out the mouth of the carbs but when driving there is
> always a real strong gas smell.  Im pretty sure there isnt a leak in the gas
> line anywhere.
>
> Is this normal?
> should I try retuning the carbs?  the car seems to run okay a little hot but
> that may be the buildup in the radiator.  I cant be running so rich that I
> get that low mileage can I?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input!
> David Lee
>
> 64 TR4
>
> http://members.home.net/davelee1/postriumph.html

David,

I lived with a broken gas gauge for two years after completing my '64 until I
found an
NOS gauge still in a Smiths box at a swap meet - guy thought it was for an MG -
when
he said $10, it was with lightening speed that I reached for my wallet...
Anyway, the
point being that I used to pay real close attention to my gas consumption by
watching
my odometer so I'm real good at tracking my mileage ;-)  Around town, my TR-4
will
average between 22 to 26 and on long highway trips can see 32 to 38 mpg.
Granted this
is probably somewhat higher than the average stock TR-4, the car has an OD
trans with
a 3.7 rear along with a fresh motor with a lot of modifications to intake,
exhaust,
and cylinder head to improve breathing.  That better breathing helps make more
power,
but the side benefit is that the efficiency and economy go up to boot.

It is possible to be running so rich that you're only getting 10 mpg around
town, but
I think you'd really notice the engine 'chugging', and not running smoothly at
all.
Check the mixture first - if the engine seems somewhat rough, I bet you're
probably
off there a little.  If that doesn't show any problems, then go looking for fuel
leaks, although it would take a pretty steady drip to loose that much fuel.  If
there
aren't any puddles under the car in the garage overnight, then concentrate on
the
pressure side of the system, from the pump up to the carbs.  You might only
have a
drip when the engine is running and the fuel pump is building pressure in the
line.
Look carefully at the fuel pump itself.  I find a lot of the '3/'4 pumps that
have a
tendency to drip.  Then check the bottoms of the carbs and all the rubber hose
connections.

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars