Re: fuel efficiency

Subject: Re: fuel efficiency
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:53:10 -0800
Cc: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David :

Isn't this the same car with the aftermarket cam ?  I take it you got
the cam timed right ...

10 mpg is definitely on the low side, and it's possible you are burning
that much.

However, the gas smell is definitely not normal, and needs to be
identified and fixed.  Have you checked the gas tank itself ?  They can
leak pretty bad without liquid gas showing under the car, since the tank
is actually inside the car.  I've also had trouble with leaks around the
gas gauge sender, that leak only while the car is being driven (as the
gas splashes around inside the tank).  A leaking fuel pump diaphragm can
also be hard to identify.  Original pumps have a secondary seal and a
weep hole, but some replacement pumps lack the secondary seal, so that
leaking fuel winds up in the crankcase.

You should also look closely at wherever the float chamber vents are on
your ZS carbs.  I've had plastic floats fail such that they fail to
float only when warm, letting the chamber overflow and, on most engines,
run raw gas into the intake manifold.

Randall